In this project, we will create a working model of a merry-go-round using a paper cup, DC motor, cardboard, and colored paper. The model will demonstrate rotational motion and how the merry-go-round operates using a motor to spin the platform.
- Paper cup
- DC motor
- Battery pack for DC motor (with switch)
- Colored paper
- Hot glue gun or adhesive
- Craft supplies (markers, scissors, etc.)
- Preparing the Base:
- Cut a circular piece of cardboard as the base of the merry-go-round.
- Attach the DC motor to the center of the cardboard using adhesive.
- Creating the Merry-Go-Round Platform:
- Cut a circular piece of colored paper slightly larger than the paper cup’s mouth.
- Attach the paper cup upside-down to the center of the colored paper using adhesive. This will be the platform’s central pole.
- Assembling the Platform:
- Attach the colored paper with the paper cup to the DC motor’s shaft using adhesive. This forms the spinning platform.
- Decorating the Base:
- Cut a larger circular piece of colored paper and glue it to the base as a decorative backdrop.
- Powering the Motor:
- Connect the DC motor to a battery pack with a switch.
- Turn on the switch to power the motor and spin the platform.
- Adding Details:
- Use markers, colored paper, and other craft supplies to decorate the merry-go-round platform, base, and backdrop.
Demonstrating the Merry-Go-Round:
- When you turn on the motor, the platform will start spinning around the central pole.
- Explain that the rotational motion of the platform simulates the movement of a merry-go-round.
By building the merry-go-round working model, you’ve successfully demonstrated the principles of rotational motion using a DC motor. This project highlights the fun and dynamic nature of merry-go-rounds found in amusement parks.