Creating a rainwater harvesting working model with a cardboard house is a great way to demonstrate the concept of collecting rainwater for later use. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Cardboard (for the house, collector, and tank)
- Paper cups (2 for collector and tank)
- Small ball (for sun)
- Cotton (for clouds)
- Blue paper (for water)
- Glue or tape
- Marker or colored pencils
Step 1: House Construction
- Cut out cardboard pieces to form the shape of a simple house.
- Use markers or colored pencils to add details like doors, windows, and a roof.
Step 2: Rainwater Collector
- Take a paper cup and cut out a small section from the rim to form a funnel shape.
- Attach the funnel-shaped cup to the roof of the cardboard house. This will serve as the rainwater collector.
Step 3: Water Tank
- Take another paper cup and cut a hole in the bottom.
- Attach this cup at the base of the house to serve as the water tank. Ensure it’s positioned to catch the water from the collector.
Step 4: Sun and Clouds
- Create a small sun by coloring a ball yellow or attaching a circular piece of yellow paper to it.
- For clouds, take cotton balls and spread them out to form cloud-like shapes. Attach these above the house using glue or tape.
Step 5: Rainwater Simulation
- Use blue paper to cut out raindrop shapes.
- Attach these paper raindrops around the collector and tank to simulate rain falling into the collector and filling up the tank.
Step 6: Demonstrating the Process
- To demonstrate the rainwater harvesting process, simulate rain by gently pouring water onto the collector.
- Watch as the water flows into the collector and eventually fills up the tank.
- Add a small spout at the bottom of the tank to show how water can be accessed for later use.
- Label different parts of the model (collector, tank, house) for educational purposes.
Remember, this model is a simplified representation. In real-life rainwater harvesting, the system would be more complex and might involve gutters, filters, and a larger storage tank. This model serves as a visual aid to help understand the basic concept.