In this project, we will create a working model that demonstrates the concept of generating electricity from rainwater harvested on the rooftop of a house. Using simple materials like paper cups and straw pipes, we’ll showcase how rainwater can potentially be utilized to generate a small amount of electrical energy.
- Paper cups
- Small LED bulb
- Copper wire
- Aluminum foil
- Small pieces of cardboard
- Alligator clips
- Hot glue gun or adhesive
- Water (to simulate rainwater)
- Constructing the Setup:
- Cut two paper cups to create shallow containers. These will serve as the rainwater collectors.
- Cut straws to the desired lengths, depending on the setup size.
- Creating the Rainwater Flow Path:
- Connect the paper cups with the straws, creating a flow path for the simulated rainwater. One cup represents the rooftop collection area, and the other cup represents a lower storage container.
- Assembling the Electrical Components:
- Attach aluminum foil to the inside bottom of the upper paper cup. This acts as the conductive surface for the electrical connection.
- Attach a small piece of cardboard to the bottom of the lower paper cup, creating an insulated base.
- Creating the Electrical Circuit:
- Attach a copper wire to the aluminum foil inside the upper cup.
- Attach the other end of the wire to the LED bulb’s positive terminal.
- Completing the Circuit:
- Connect another copper wire to the LED bulb’s negative terminal.
- Position the other end of this wire in the lower paper cup, but not touching the cardboard.
- Simulating Rainwater:
- Pour water into the upper paper cup, simulating rainwater harvesting from the rooftop.
- Observing LED Illumination:
- As water fills the upper paper cup and comes into contact with the aluminum foil, it completes the circuit and causes the LED bulb to light up.
Demonstrating Rainwater Electricity Generation:
- Explain that rainwater serves as a conductor between the aluminum foil and the copper wire, completing the electrical circuit and causing the LED bulb to light up.
Through the rainwater electricity generation model, you’ve demonstrated how rainwater can be harnessed to complete an electrical circuit and power a small LED bulb. This project showcases the potential for utilizing rainwater as a source of energy.